For a new-style brunch, you can’t miss this fried potato-based rostì: they are prepared in a few steps and go well with everything, from salty to sweet. The extra push? A pinch of paprika. In this article, we read about How to make hash browns?
They are called Hash Brown – which in Italian we could translate as an uninviting “brown mess” due to the burnished color assumed by the potatoes in the pan – and they represent a cornerstone of the stars and stripes brunch.
It may have happened to you, entering a US restaurant, to notice a large grill behind the counter: there often, on those plates as big as cutting boards, in addition to the inevitable burgers, these enjoyable pies are prepared,
a mix of grated potatoes (hence the name, which derives from the French word hacher / “to mince”), squeezed and compacted with egg and spices, then generously fried.
It was a simple and tasty dish, born in the late 1800s when American hotels started serving breakfast. They, in essence, carbohydrate pancakes that can consume alone or accompanied with bacon, smoked salmon, and fried eggs.
They made in a few simple steps, with raw potatoes or those already cooked (otherwise known as “leftovers!”), And everyone likes them.
Some recipes include adding vegetables or diced vegetables (such as onions) and some minced meat: I limited myself to completing them with grated cheese, salt, and pepper. Make them and refrigerate them like in American fast-food restaurants to always have a generous “dose” of the Big Apple ready on the weekend! Song Suggested: You Can’t Hurry Love – Phil Collins.
Table of Contents
What Do You Need
Ingredients (for about 8 10cm hash browns):
- Four yellow-fleshed potatoes (about 800 g)
- One large egg
- Four tablespoons of flour
- 100 gr of grated cheese
- optional: 1 onion, finely chopped
- One teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of pepper
- pinch of paprika
- a pinch of nutmeg
- seed oil to taste for frying
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO
- Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover them with water and bring to a boil, letting them cook for 20 minutes until they soften without becoming too soft (and a fork penetrates them without hindrance).
- Drain and let them cool, then peel and grate them on a grater with large holes.
- Please put them in a colander, rinse them quickly under cold running water (to remove excess starch), and press them firmly to the bottom of the colander to expel all the liquid.
- Dry them with a cloth and place them in a container, adding the rest of the ingredients (including, if necessary, the chopped onion, the meat, or whatever you want).
- Cut out squares of parchment paper (about 15 x 15 cm) and place a spoon of dough on each, flattening it like a disk.
- Fry (over high heat) in peanut oil, remove the parchment paper and turn each hash brown until golden and crisp after a couple of minutes.
- Pass the hash browns in absorbent paper to remove excess oil, sprinkle with salt (and possibly herbs), and enjoy hot, plain, or accompanied with sauces!
If you prefer, you can also bake the hash browns in the oven (for an hour at 180 degrees) by placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brushing the top with olive oil and sprinkling with salt. Remember to turn them halfway through cooking!
Also read: how much to build a house