Everyone loves Manhattan, a whiskey-based drink with the inevitable maraschino cherry. Here are how to prepare it and some curiosities!
The Manhattan is one of the most popular cocktails globally, with a characteristic strong taste with the sweet note of the iconic maraschino cherry. Its origins date back to the late 1800s. Since then, it has made its way into the most popular cocktails, used both as a decisive aperitif and as a tasty after dinner. Preparing it at home is easy. We’ll tell you how!
- 5 cl of whiskey (rye or Canadian)
- 2 cl of red Vermouth
- Angostura to taste
- One maraschino cherry
- ice to taste
Preparation of the Manhattan
- To make your Manhattan, prepare a martini glass with a classic inverted cone shape. Put your cup in the freezer so that it is frozen when you take it out.
- Please take a second large tall glass or the mixing glass technician to mix the ingredients and pour the ice into it until complete.
- Add the whiskey, the red Vermouth, a few drops of angostura (2/3 will suffice), and mix everything with a spoon, straw, or the precise bar spoon.
- Take the cup from the freezer and pour your mixture. Top it all off with a maraschino cherry!
If you want, you can also cut the peel of an orange, squeeze the peel over the cup to release its essential oils inside the long drink, and pass it on the edges of the cup and on the long stem to spread the aroma.
The history of Manhattan
It seems that this drink was born in 1874 during a banquet at the Manhattan Club in New York by the hand of Jennie Jerome, the mother of Winston Churchill. Jennie had a passion for making alcoholic combinations from scratch, with excellent taste for the right pairings.
Variants of the cocktail
Initially, the Manhattan drink was made with rye whiskey. Only later did I start using Rye and Canadian whiskey. There are several variations: Bourbon Manhattan where bourbon is used instead of Canadian or Rye whiskey; the Manhattan dry where, instead of the sweet red Vermouth, dry Vermouth is used; or the Manhattan perfect mixes the two types of Vermouth in equal parts.
Manhattan in movies and TV series
So, despite these minor variations, the classic version remains the most famous, conquering even the small and large screen. Manhattan is often found infamous and trendy films and TV series: as in Will and Grace. Where Karen often sips her drink in the library. In the movie Some Like It Hot, this time in the Bourbon version for Billy Wilder or again in some scenes of Sex and The City instead of the iconic Cosmopolitan.
If you love drinks and want to learn how to make some at home, there is a list of quick and easy recipes for better cocktails that you must try!
Also, read: how to take a screenshot on android.