Are you looking to get the best car shipping quote available? One of your best options is to use an online car shipping quote calculator. In this article, we will attempt to explain how car shipping quotes are calculated and how to use a car shipping calculator online to obtain quotes from multiple companies to get the best rates.
Table of Contents
What Is A Car Shipping Calculator?
Auto transport companies will generally offer a car shipping calculator on their website to help customers determine an accurate quote for their transport. It’s important to remember that you should get quotes from several different companies so you can compare rates and shipping options to ensure you are getting the best pricing available.
What Is Required To Use A Car Shipping Calculator?
When you get a quote online, most of the time it is generated from a shipping calculator created by each transport broker or carrier. They are generally very simple to use and only require a few pieces of information in order to generate a quote. You will usually need to prove the make and model of your vehicle, its year, and the pickup and delivery dates and locations.
Some Of The Factors That Can Affect Your Car Shipping Quote
There are several factors that can affect the quotes you receive for your car transport when using a shipping calculator. The main characteristics that can affect your quotes include:
- Distance being travelled: Transport costs are based on mileage. Distances under 500 miles are usually more expensive per mile but will go down the farther the distance your transport is.
- The type of vehicle: Larger vehicles will be more expensive to ship than a smaller compact car. The dimensions of larger vehicles means that it will take up more space on the trailer allowing fewer vehicles to ship at once which makes your costs higher.
- Time of year: Vehicle shipping is seasonal and as the demand rises so does the price to transport any vehicle. January and the summer months tend to be the most expensive months. The winter months are usually more affordable for car transport.
- Type of Transport: There are two types of transport methods to choose from. Open carrier is more affordable and the most popular transport method. The vehicle is exposed on the trailer so there is the potential for damage incurred from either road debris or from harsh weather conditions but this is pretty rare. Enclosed transport is the other option and provides the most protection for your vehicle. Less vehicles are able to fit in an enclosed carrier at one time and there are fewer enclosed carriers on the road so you can expect costs to be as much as 60% higher compared to an open transport.
- Condition of vehicle: Is your vehicle in operable condition? If your car is drivable and can be driven directly onto the trailer, great! If it’s in an inoperable condition, it can still be transported but will require the use of special tools in order to load it onto the trailer. This means that inoperable cars will have an additional fee in order to transport them.
The factors that will increase the cost of your transport include the use of an enclosed transport, expedited shipping service, moving larger vehicles, and transporting a vehicle to an overseas destination. The more flexible you can be with pickup and delivery dates the better. If you are able to book several weeks ahead you will be able to get much cheaper quotes with more options available. Shipping an exotic, classic or luxury type vehicle using an enclosed transport will also cost you between 30 and 60 percent more on your car shipping quote.